City of Yarra established a Community Gardens Advisory Committee last year to deliver recommendations for council consideration in August 2010.
They plan to establish 5 gardens in Yarra by 2012 although they decided against the site in Hardy Gallagher reserve in Princes Hill or the George St Fitzroy sites that were proposed.
They also have a useful FAQ about community gardens.
Welcome to Moreland Community Gardening
Sign Up to start gardening
or to stay up-to-date
Our a 100% volunteer-based non-profit community group currently manages two community gardens in West Brunswick and Pentridge a food forest (also in West Brunswick).
Stop and think for 1 minute and you'll come up with at least one good reason for having community gardens all over the place. In case you don't have a minute or need some help, here are our top five!
- To bring people together.
- To hold on to Moreland's character and gardening knowledge.
- To provide somewhere where people can do some physical activity, relax and enjoy themselves
- To encourage sustainable gardening
- To make it easy for people to get hold of healthy locally grown food