From Labor in Moreland 2008 – 2012, Building Community in Moreland Page 15
("Labor's vision for the City of Moreland..." )
Building a sustainable community
Labor in Moreland has led the way in putting in place programs to promote a more sustainable community and will continue to do so.
On council we have developed a Moreland Climate Action Plan, which will be implemented.
A Labor Council will
- reduce Council greenhouse gas emissions by 40 percent by 2010 and community emissions by 20 percent by 2010
- in partnership, implement the Coburg Solar City project
- reduce council fleet emissions by 10 percent per annum
- retrofit Moreland's street lights with energy efficient globes
- continue to support popular programs such as CERES, Moreland Energy Foundation, Community Power, Sustainability Street and community education programs
- support new programs designed to encourage a whole of community approach to sustainability
- support food security projects and investigate the role community gardens could play in providing a more sustainable local food base. A food security taskforce will be initiated and supported.