Now, that was not your "conventional" Permablitz though (is there really such a thing), typically they take place in someone's backyard. One of our very active members (Thomas, who hooked us up with the Permablitz crew, designed our compost palace and has run a few compost workshops) is completely renovating his backyard. Read on for details...
PERMABLITZ #149: WEST BRUNSWICK
Saturday 21 September 2013, 10:00am - 5:00pm
We're blitzing our north facing back garden, and if all goes according to plan, we'll:
- build a fox (and dog) proof deep mulch chicken yard
- cut down a couple of trees, and use the wood for huglekulture beds
- construct a few wicking beds out of old apple crates
- do plenty of digging to remove lead contaminated soil, put in mulch paths, and take measures to preserve water
- plant orange, pear and banana trees, grape vines, potatoes, veggies, and herbs
- build a pergola for the grape vines, to shade the house
- build a chook shed
- smash up some concrete, and replace it with mulch and ground beds
- eat a fabulous vegetarian lunch
There’ll be workshops on the things we’re doing during the day, and perhaps others such as composting, pruning, wormfarming, and keeping chooks. There will also be one on Lacto Bacillus from Ben (see this site, if that doesn't mean anything to you: http://gilcarandang.com/recipes/lactobacillus-serum/)
If you want to come, email Thomas_Greig@gardener.com, and we’ll reply with the address. Let us know if you have any dietary requirements when you write.
If you haven't heard back after three days, please check your spam folder.
Please wear sensible shoes or boots, and bring gloves and a sunhat.