After a disrupted year, we’re very pleased to announce that Open Garden sessions are back at Pentridge Community Garden! Open Gardens will be happening Sundays from 10.30am until daylight savings ends (then we will move back to afternoon sessions).
If you’ve never attended an Open Garden before, here’s how it works:
- This is our informal, weekly catch up for gardening members. We set the time loosely – people tend to start arriving from 10.30am, but it’s common to see other gardeners deep into the afternoon depending on people’s schedules.
- We use these sessions as an opportunity to meet other members, discuss what needs to be done in the garden and assign jobs or activities. On a typical day you might see members planting seedlings, weeding, pulling out spent crops, preparing garden beds for new crops, staking vines, spraying fruit trees or pruning the bushes.
- Open Gardens are also used to tackle some of the bigger jobs at the garden, like building new garden beds or working on the hydroponics system.
- If you’re new to gardening, we recommend attending an Open Garden session. It’s the quickest way to meet people and learn from our more experienced members.
- At the end of the session, we sit down for a cuppa and a chat.
- Before you leave, make sure you take home some fruit and vegies. There’s always something to harvest and plenty to go around.
If this sounds really good to you, but you’re not yet a member, check out our membership options here.
If you’ve never visited Pentridge Community Garden before, you’re welcome to pop in and take a look any time the gate is open. Members of the public are also welcome to drop off their compost during Open Garden sessions.
We hope to see you at our next Open Garden – happening Sundays from 10.30am in the summer months.
Have you been wanting to learn how to garden in the inner city? Maybe you picked up up some skills over lockdown, and you’d like to move to growing your own vegies?
Great news, because Pentridge Community Garden is accepting new members again. We’re very excited to welcome new people to our friendly garden in Melbourne’s northern suburbs.
Our community garden is different to most. We didn’t want our garden to just be rows of private beds where individuals don’t interact with each other. So we’ve built a large communal space that we look after together.
It means that we can learn from one another, experiment with different plants, and we have heaps of different crops on the go. Gardening members share the harvest, and there’s always plenty to go around!
Right now you can visit the garden and expect to go home with rhubarb, zucchini and peas. And we’re planting chillies, capsicum and tomatoes for summer- yum.
We welcome members of all ages, ethnicities, abilities, genders and sexualities. And it’s ok if you are a complete newbie – we are here to help you learn!
So if you’ve been meaning to get more connected to your neighbours and the environment, join us at Pentridge Community Garden!